Video cameras record data in a poor format for broadcasting video. To transmit video efficiently, linear algebra is used to change the basis. But which basis is best for video compression is an important question that has not been fully answered!
Lecture Video and Summary
- Watch the video lecture
Change of Basis; Image Compression (00:50:14)
Lecture 31: Change of Basis; Image Compression
- Read the accompanying lecture summary (PDF)
- Lecture video transcript (PDF)
- Read Section 7.2 in the 4th edition or Section 8.2 in the 5th edition.
Problem Solving Video
- Watch the recitation video on
Change of Basis (00:12:25)
Problem Solving: Change of Basis
- Recitation video transcript (PDF)
Problems and Solutions
Work the problems on your own and check your answers when you're done.